Friday, September 4, 2009

ER trips, Spinal Taps, Medicine,and lots of Tests...

Where to start? This week has been a crazy one to say the least! Well, to start off I still have not been doing well at all with my whole body just not feeling well. On Wednesday my mom woke me up like she usually to bring me breakfast before she leaves for work. (I have such a great mom! :) ) Well, when she woke me up that morning I did NOT feel good!!! I couldn't sit up in my or even lift my head up to eat breakfast, so I had her place it beside me on a chair so that I could just reach for it.

Later that day (Wednesday) I was not getting better at all, so my mom took off work, came and picked me up from the house, and took me to the emergency roon! While I was there they did blood work, urine samples, CT scans, and the worst thing (I so didn't like) was a spinal tap! One of the things that made it the worst , besides the obvious sticking a needle clear into my spine, was that the doctor and nurse were just going to do it in the ER, and I was like okay that's fine. They started it--first they went in with straight lidocaine (OUCH), than they went to go clear into the spine to the get the CSF (cerebral spinal fluid), didn't work, they went back in with more lidocaine, and then I believe they attempted to go into the spine again, but I don't know for sure. Anyways....After that the doctor looked at me, while I just have tears streaming out of my eyes, he said that due to my ehlers danlos I had alot of calcifacations along my spine and along the ligaments and things surrounding it. So, since my tissues and everything were so hard, I had to go to radiology to have a guided (by x-ray) spinal tap. So they took me straight over, and did the spinal tap (thank goodness I was so happy that my favorite radiology tech person--that does all the injections and things--was there to do mine.)

So then it was back to the ER and waiting for the results of all the tests and everything. The doctor came in, said everything looked fine, that he wanted to try me on another new medication for nerves, he gave me a dose of the medicine, and let me go home. (By than in was like 7pm on Wednesday night.)

Oh Wednesday night came...I went to bed early (probably by like 9pm at the latest), but woke up at like 3am in horrible pain and not feeling well at all. I called my mom and she came up to help me and see what was going on. I told her and she said lets try your anti-nausea medicine first. So I took the medicine and about 10mins later I threw it up! We than decided we'd try my pain medication but that I should eat something first, so I ate about five crackers, took the pill, and 20mins later I threw up again! Finally we said okay lets try the nausea medication one more time, and it came straight back up again! So not fun!

My mom told me we need to go back to the ER. I told okay and she helped me get up and off we went (I was pretty sylish I might add in my pajamas--a T-shirt and shorts--and the socks my mom just put on my feet...no one needs shoes! haha) to the emergency room! We got there, they checked me in and got me straight back and a doctor came right in. He talked to us for awhile and he said I don't know what other tests to order, because these doctors have been run almost all the tests I could think of. He did find one type of lab that hadn't been done so he ordered that and gave me some different types of medicines in my IV.
I finally woke up at like 12:30pm that same day (Thursday) and was in a hospital room. I looked at my mom and she said that they've admitted me. That day they ran an MRI on brain, did an echocardiogram (an ultasound of my heart), more blood work, and x-rays.

4 comments:

  1. wow...... that sounds like an interesting trip to the hospital... lol.
    My prayers are with you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh jackie, i'm so sorry that you are going through such difficult things. i'm praying for you! let me know if there is anything i can do for you. hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Jackie, you are breaking my heart! I wish I could snap my fingers and make it better! We are praying for you! If anyone can make it through this, you can! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie, spinal taps are the worst! I am so sorry! I hope you can make progress and start getting better soon! I love you so much and I am sure this is hard for you and your dear, sweet mom! (And the rest of your family.) So, what is happening now? Do you have all the test results back? Anything new?? Please keep me posted and know that I am PRAYING HARD for you!

    ReplyDelete