Friday, October 30, 2009

Surgery Postponed...

So I know some of this late news, but I've been slacking on trying to keep this thing updated--too much stuff going on. But, I was supposed to have my surgery on my hip done in Colorado on Oct. 21st. Well,the week before the scheduled surgery, I got a phone call from the doctor's office and they said that we needed to postpone the surgery.
The problem came down to the fact that we haven't been able to run all tests needed to check for the possible adrenal insufficiency, pituitary insufficiency, or thyroid insufficiency. So, as these could all be very dangerous--even fatal--with surgery...in not knowing for sure what we were going in with, the surgery was postponed until we can do the further testing needed.
So, as of now, we had to taper me off the steroid medications and then stay off of them for a few weeks, and finally, on Nov. 19th, I'll go have all my testing done for those things. Then, depending on the results and everything, we'll schedule the surgery.

4 comments:

  1. I know it must be so hard to just "wait". Hang in there and know that I am praying for you EVERY SINGLE DAY!

    For the first time in quite a while, I actually feel really good today! Hooray. Let's schedule lunch sometime soon.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the update. I have been worried about you and thinking about you. Hang in there. I hope you have a good halloween.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow... that sounds like a lot! lol jackie, I love you :) You're amazing :) I sure hope everything works out and that you are able to have surgery. I wish you the best and I will continue to pray for you :)
    Londi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jackie,

    I just found your blog and my heart goes out to you. I wanted to pass on some information about EDS, if that's okay. First, the gastrointestinal problems are definitely a part of EDS and are very common. Secondly, some people with EDS have Chiari or tethered cord. Some of the hormonal problems might be related to the Chiari, which affects the pituitary gland, which in turn affects the other hormones. Have you looked at the www.EDNF.org website? There's lots of information there. Lastly, my opinion is that you should only have surgery by a physician who is knowledgable about EDS. Let me know if you'd like more information from me. I am happy to help in any way I can.

    Kaitlyn

    ReplyDelete