Sunday, July 22, 2012

Passing on Traditions...

Don't you ever just love looking back on things you remember doing all the time as a kid and just smiling?! Those "I remember..." moments?! I love them!!! I've decided some of those just can't help but getting passed on!!!
One of those takes place every year about a week after Thanksgiving (although the treat is actually for Christmas time). I used to go down to my Grandma Anderson's each year and we would spend the ENTIRE day making these mint chocolate cookies (they seriously taste just like the girl scout thin mint cookies)!!! I absolutely LOVED it and would look forward to it every year!!! The only difference between than now is that, than we used to make literally almost 800 cookies or so--enough for our ENTIRE family to have a bunch their house...all of my grandma's kids, the grandkids would have some, and she had to have some at her house for when everyone would come by--and now, we make some for our familiy--my sisters and their families, the neighbors, us, and things. These cookies though, so easy and so fun to make!!! You melt chocolate (we do some dark chocolate and some milk chocolate) in an electric frying pan...then you'll want to have your pans ready to put the cookies on so you just take like cookie sheets and put a piece of wax paper on them...now for the cookies, take Ritz crackers and cover them in the melted chocolate, place them on the cookie sheets, once the cookie sheet is filled you place the cookie sheet either in the fridge or freezer so that the chocolate can harden, once the chocolate is hard (you want to make sure it's nice and solid--not sticky or anything--so it doesn't melt while you're pulling them off), you pull the cookies off the wax paper and place them in like a brownie pan (lining them up in rows), then when the whole brownie pan is full you'll take aluminum foil and place it between the rows of cookies, take cotton balls and put pour mint extract all over the cotton ball, place the cotton ball along the aluminum foil (usually like 2-3 cotton balls in each row), cover the pan, and let the cookies sit for a couple weeks....the mint flavoring soaks into the cookies and makes them chocolate-mint cookies!!! DELICIOUS!!!
So this year one of my nieces, Sammy, came over and learned how to make them! She spent the day helping my mom and I make them, and it was so much fun! Here's some pics of our day together:
Sammy working on getting the chocolate to melt...

My Mom ("Grandma") and Sammy (my niece) together....

 Does this not look so good....I just want to dip like everything into it! :)
 Sam wanted to do some funny pictures...


 Sammy and I together...

My other time I got to enjoy passing on a tradition actually happened just this passed week. When I was little I remember making homemade bread with my Grandma Anderson all the time! It was always SO MUCH FUN to go down there and spend the day together and we'd make bread throughout the day--making the initial dough, kneading it out, going in every so often and pushing it down, and then finally putting them into the pans to cook...and she would always make little loaves of bread for us, the grandkids, to bring home (besides the larger loaf for the family to share)! So the other week my niece and nephew, Kaleb and Sammy, were over while my sister was at a meeting, so for our activity we made homemade bread!!! It was so fun and actually didn't turn out too bad (I liked it at least and ate plenty)!!! But more than anything, it was so fun to tell the kids how I used to make this with my grandma, and then watching them knead the dough and stuff, we cooked it and made them each their own little loaf of bread, and then they got to take it home! It was a fun day!!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I remember going to your grandma's and eating a ton of those cookies!

    ReplyDelete